En:Bro Buzz Aldrin
Brother, Edwin Eugene "Buzz" Aldrin, Jr.
Astronaut and a True Masonic Pioneer
Aldrin’s Masonic Career:
- Master Mason in Montclair Lodge No. 144, Montclair, NJ
- Received all three Degrees by courtesy of other Lodges
- On February 21, 1956 was initiated by Oak Park Lodge No. 864, Montgomery, Alabama
- Passed by Oak Park Lodge No. 864 on April 12, 1955
- On February 21, 1956 was raised by Lawrence N. Greenleaf Lodge No. 169 Denver, Colorado
- On May 26-27 1967, received York Rite Degrees and Orders at an all-state York Rite Festival in Waco, Texas
- Recipient of the Knight Templar Cross of Honor in 1969
- Member of Arabia Shrine Temple of Houston
- Bro. Aldrin is presently a Member of Clear Lake Lodge No. 1417 in Seabrook, Texas and is now a 33° Mason
Brother Aldrin is an American astronaut who was the lunar module pilot on Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing in history. On July 20, 1969, he was the first Freemason and the second human being to set foot on the Moon, following mission commander Neil Armstrong.
While he was on the Moon, Brother Aldrin claimed the moon for the Masonic jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas. When Brother Aldrin stepped onto the surface of the Moon, He carried with him a special deputation from the Grand Master to claim the moon as being in the territorial jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Texas.
On Earth the Grand Lodge of Texas formed Tranquility Lodge No. 2000, named after Tranquility Base, the location of Apollo 11's landing. Tranquility Lodge 2000 is based in Texas under auspices of The Grand Lodge of Texas until such time as the Lodge may hold its meetings on the Moon. The meetings are held quarterly at various cities in Texas, with the annual meeting being held in Waco each July.
- The Scottish Rite Flag that went to the Moon and back is at the House of the Temple in DC.
- From the Scottish Rite, The New Age Magazine, December 1969 (pp. 34-6):
Bro. Buzz Aldrin Reports Back to the House of the Temple
Astronaut Visits Grand Commander
The history of Masonry in the space age took another step forward on September 16, 1969, when Astronaut Brother Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr., 32°, visited the House of the Temple in Washington. Accompanied by his father, Edwin E. Aldrin, Sr., also a Scottish Rite Mason, Astronaut Aldrin paused in his busy schedule to greet Grand Commander Smith and to present to him the handmade Scottish Rite flag he had taken to the moon.
The flag is made of white silk, measures 22 x 30 centimeters, and is edged by a band of gold. It is embroidered with the words “The Supreme Council, 33°, Southern Jurisdiction, USA” and the motto “Deus Meumque Jus.” It is also decorated with the double-headed eagle, the crown of the Thirty-third Degree, the insignia of the Sovereign Grand Commander, and the insignia of a Master Mason.
On that historic lunar flight from July 16 to 24, 1969, the presence of this flag symbolized Masonry’s universal importance. When man reaches new worlds, Masonry will be there."
To clear things up a bit...maybe...I hope:
Brother Aldrin is an American astronaut who on July 20, 1969 was the first Freemason and the second human being to set foot on the Moon. Neil Armstrong Jr. the Astronaut who just died was not a Freemason, but, Neil Armstrong Sr, his father, was a Freemason.
Hermano Aldrin es un astronauta americano que el 20 de julio 1969 fue la primera y la Freemason humano siendo la segunda en pisar la Luna. Neil Armstrong Jr. el astronauta que acaba de morir no era masón, pero, Neil Armstrong Sr, su padre, era un masón.
- Tranquility Lodge No.2000 Website: http://tl2k.org/index.htm